To make an amazing meal, you don’t need a lot of fancy ingredients or magic spices. With simple, wholesome ingredients and a tried-and-true recipe, you can make a delicious family favorite. Often, the simplest meals, well-prepared, are the most memorable.
This recipe is the perfect example — we make it with grilled naan topped with a buttery white sauce, creamy mozzarella, salty Parmesan cheese, earthy oregano, and a drizzle of hot honey. The flatbread comes off the grill rich, salty, bright, lightly sweet, and deeply comforting.
Prep is a breeze. It’s great for busy weeknights, hot summer days, laid-back happy hours, and special occasions, like baby showers or graduation parties — which is to say, it’s perfect anytime, anywhere.
- Heat a grill to 500°F. Push a bed of charcoal to one side of the grill, creating one side with direct heat and another side with indirect heat.
- To make the white sauce, in a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat until bubbling. Slowly add the all-purpose flour while whisking continuously for about 2 minutes, being careful not to let it brown and reducing the heat slightly if needed.
- Slowly add the whole milk while whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Whisk until smooth, thick, and bubbles begin to form, about 3 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic, and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Whisk for about 2 minutes, until the cheese is melted and fully incorporated. Remove the pot from the heat and set aside.
- On the side of the grill with direct heat, grill each piece of naan for about 2 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear. Transfer to a large cutting board.
- To assemble the flatbreads, evenly spread about ¼ cup of white sauce on each naan, leaving a ½-inch space around the edges to form a crust.
- Top each naan with ¼ cup shredded Parmesan, ½ cup shredded mozzarella, and ½ teaspoon dried oregano. Place the flatbreads on the side of the grill with indirect heat. Close the lid and cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted and starting to brown on the edges.
- Transfer the flatbreads to a large cutting board. Top each flatbread with hot honey and crushed red pepper, if using.
- Slice each flatbread into 6 pieces. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from: Natasha’s Kitchen